Are We Ready For Kindergarten?

My son will be old enough to begin kindergarten this year- which is awesome! I just do not know if we are ready. I've been tossing around my options since spring. I have a son who has a speech delay and it has put him behind in a lot of ways for kindergarten. The school says he will be ok and will have help to succeed. Admittedly, I'm a little hesitant. I want him to feel like he's on the same page as the other kids around him. I worry that he may be ridiculed for being a bit different, even though he is a very bright boy. All of his progress makes me proud and he's been making his IEP goals over the summer. He is smart and I know it.

Then I look at where he should be as a Kindergartner...and I begin to see just how far we have to go. He is a December baby, so he is starting at age 5. I just keep asking myself "should we be doing one more year of preschool instead?" I want to set him up to do well and I worry about him playing catch up in the future if he starts now. This is one topic I do not have the answers to. I just know I need to be his advocate. Which I do.

School is a milestone, and I want it to be a milestone that he can be proud of. I do not want it to be a struggle for him from day 1. Anything I can do to ease that burden seems like the best thing. So I'm asking you, would you wait, or give it a go?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Momtools Loves Purex

Breakfast Crunchwraps- Homemade!

Have you ever used Fels-Naptha?