Living with a child with special needs

This post means a lot to me. It's for all of you out there who wake up every day and brave the struggle that comes with a child who may have some kind of delay or disability. For me, my son has a delay. I am optimistic that he may outgrow it. For some, there is not that chance. They will face days like I do permanently. I have the utmost respect for these parents! My son has a speech delay, and we are still finding out if there is anything more. The communication issues can be so frustrating for both of us. In the past month we had our first conversation. I was overcome with joy. Just the conversation of trivial things, soccer and playing outside...I was so proud. There are moments that I wish I could tear down the wall between us so he could understand me and I could understand him too. Then I stop to enjoy who he really is. He is brilliant. He can do puzzles with ease, he counts to 12, knows his colors and shapes and writes his name. That sounds like any 5 year old, right? Then when he speaks, I face people who think he is 3 years old. I face dirty looks when he acts out in frustration for the things he can not say. They just do not realize all the hard work we have done to get to where we are. Even though my son, and children like him may be behind, they are the most determined and hard working kids i've ever seen. When they are good at something, they are exceptional. It is just amazing. It takes patience I never even knew I had and love that is unconditional. At the end of the day, I wouldn't change a thing. It may be hard, but it's worth every hug and kiss and conversation. I'd love to hear your stories! You can leave a comment below or check out my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/momtoolsblog All you parents out there who have children like my son, or even children with disabilities, you are the strongest people! That is something to be very proud of.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Momtools Loves Purex

Breakfast Crunchwraps- Homemade!

Have you ever used Fels-Naptha?